Asphalt Shingle Cost vs Metal Roof Cost
Choosing the right roofing material is a crucial decision for homeowners in Ontario, and comparing the costs of asphalt shingles and metal roofs is an important aspect of this process. While asphalt shingles are a common and cost-effective choice, metal roofs offer long-term benefits that can outweigh the initial investment. Let’s delve into the factors that impact metal roof costs and explore the advantages of different metal roofing systems.
Factors that Impact the Cost of Metal Roofs
Several factors contribute to the overall cost of installing a metal roof in Ontario:
- Material Quality: The type and quality of the metal used significantly influence the cost. High-quality metals, such as steel or aluminum, tend to be more durable and come with a higher upfront cost.
- Roof Complexity: The complexity of your roof’s design and structure can impact installation costs. A more intricate roof may require additional labor and materials.
- Insulation and Underlayment: Proper insulation and underlayment are essential for a metal roof. Investing in quality insulation can affect both the energy efficiency of your home and the overall cost of the project.
- Professional Installation: Hiring experienced and skilled roofing professionals ensures proper installation, adding to the overall cost but ensuring a long-lasting and reliable metal roof.
METAL ROOFING COST BY PRODUCT TYPE
Exposed Fastener Metal Roof
Exposed fastener metal roofs are a cost-effective option with visible screws securing the metal panels. While more budget-friendly, they provide excellent durability and weather resistance. However, routine maintenance to check and tighten fasteners is recommended.
- incorporation of recycled or recyclable materials
- resilience to high-speed winds
- resistance to fire and hail
- prevention of fungus and organic growth
- and long-term cost-effectiveness compared to asphalt shingles.
Average Warranty – 40 Years
Concealed Fastener Metal Roofing System (Metal Shingles)
Metal shingles offer a more polished appearance with concealed fasteners. They come in various styles, resembling traditional roofing materials like wood or asphalt. Metal shingles boast durability, low maintenance, and energy efficiency, making them a popular choice among homeowners.
Benefits of this roofing material include its
- energy efficiency
- maintenance-free nature
- incorporation of recycled or recyclable content
- high resistance to wind, fire, hail, pests, and fungus/organic growth
Additionally, it proves to be cost-effective over time compared to asphalt shingles, offers superior wind resistance without the need for battens or strapping, minimal gaps between roof and metal panels, no extra screw holes or washers required, and requires no maintenance. Its suitability for roofs with low dormer windows and a variety of detailed style choices further enhance its appeal.
Average Warranty – 50 Years
Standing Seam Metal Roofing System
Standing seam roofs are known for their sleek, modern look. With concealed fasteners and raised seams, they provide enhanced weather resistance. While they come at a higher initial cost, standing seam roofs offer excellent longevity and require minimal maintenance.
- Durable roofing material with energy-efficient features
- incorporating recycled or recyclable content
- demonstrating high-speed wind resistance
- fire resistance
- hail resistance
- pest resistance.
Additionally, it prevents fungus and organic growth and proves to be a cost-effective choice compared to asphalt shingles over time.
Average Warranty – 50 Years
Agricultural Panel Metal Roof
Agricultural panel metal roofs are a practical and affordable choice, often used in agricultural and industrial settings. They are cost-effective, easy to install, and provide reliable protection against the elements.
- A lasting roofing solution with recycled/recyclable content
- resilience to high-speed winds, fire, hail, and pests
- It also prevents fungus/organic growth and stands out as the most economical roofing option over time.
Average Warranty – 25 Years
When considering a metal roof in Ontario, weighing the costs and benefits is crucial. While asphalt shingles may be a more budget-friendly option initially, the long-term advantages of metal roofs, such as durability, energy efficiency, and low maintenance, make them a wise investment. Choose the metal roofing system that aligns with your aesthetic preferences, budget, and the unique requirements of your home for a reliable and lasting solution.